What is a listserv?
- A list serve is an e-mail discussion group that permits you to:
- Network with colleagues
- Quickly resolve problems and seek solutions
- Seek advice or answers and get responses quickly
- Actively participate in discussions or simply monitor news or developments
- Stay involved with the organization
How does a listserv discussion group work?
Think of it as a large bulletin board. You post a message for your colleagues to read and/or respond to. Messages are posted in response to yours, and so on. Instead of paper scraps and push pins, we use e-mail over the Internet. Participation on the listserv is limited to current MTCMA members.
How do I sign up?
The MTCMA listserv is a managed listserv. The Training and Affiliate department updates the email addresses of members as they join the organization or change jobs or change their email address. Members should contact the Training and Affiliate department at email@example.com if you experience any problems.
Once you are activated as a member of the listserv, to send a message to the listserv simply send an email to: MTCMA-Members@mmaaffl.org
MTCMA listserv guidelines and protocols
When posting messages to the MTCMA listserv members should keep in mind the following general guidelines:
- The purpose of this valuable resource is to provide an open forum for the posting of announcements and discussion of news, ideas, and information relating to municipal government management.
- Each message should be suitable for this site and constructive as to content.
- Always remember that your responses to questions or inquiries are posted to all members on the listserv
The following protocols were implemented y the MTCMA Communications Committee Chair in February 2003 (and updated regarding contact info on October 12, 2004):
Whenever possible, please respond to the individual sender. You will note that the sender’s e-mail address is listed after their name. You can simply cut and paste the e-mail address in your respective e-mail program and send your reply via your own e-mail system.
The individual making an inquiry would be responsible for compiling their results should others be interested in the final outcome. Those results can be sent to Kathryn Ruth, communications committee chair (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will then have them placed on the Manager’s website.
Always sign your name at the bottom of the message as some email addresses do not identify the individual Remember that everyone is busy and to keep the listserv productive and meaningful, keep the chatter to a minimum and/or between individuals so you do not lose the audience that you have built. Keep the message brief, one screen is plenty, a good paragraph is better. If you feel it would be better to reply to the listserv on a certain topic, cut the trailing messages when you hit reply so as to not “clutter” your reply with the thread of the discussion, remember, everyone on the listserv has probably read the previous messages.